• Spoon: Sister Jack (CD Single)
  • Sia: Colour the Small Ones
  • Abra Moore: Strangest Places
  • The Police: Synchronicity
  • Beck: Guero
  • Stereophonics: Performance and Cocktails
  • KT Tunstall: Eye to the Telescope
  • Off Topic: Dualdiscs
  • Kate Bush: Aerial
  • The Beta Band: The Three E.P.'s
  • Thursday, February 09, 2006

    Spoon: Gimme Fiction

    I wish I had listened to this last year so I could have put it on my Top5 of '05. Sadly, I missed out on a great album.

    After hearing a number of soundtracks with Spoon on them, I decided to give this album that Marc had been talking about a chance.

    The tunes vary in speed, styles, and sound, but they all feel connected, which is always nice on an album.

    "The Beast and Dragon, Adored," opens things up solidly, if very simple. Basic drum beat, piano, and guitar, and it just moves nicely. "The Two Sides of Monsieur Valentine" has all the sounds of a great alt-rock radio hit.

    The more I listen to this album, the more I feel it's not about being complicated, musically, but being quite simple in the instrumentation to create a lush sound.

    The Beast and Dragon, Adored, I Turn My Camera On, Sister Jack, and The Infinite Pet all get higyh replays on the ol' iPod.

    As for the Bonus Disc that comes with it, there are just four tracks:
    - Carry Out Kids
    - You Was It
    - I Summon You (Demo)
    - Sister Jack (Piano Demo)

    And they offer a nice, if short, accompaniment to the 11 tracks of the regular release.

    In the End: This may be a little out there, but not so far out there as to be inaccessible by the masses. Give some of the songs I picked out a shot, I think you, the loyal masses, will enjoy it.

    Technorati Tagged: | Indie

    1 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    But Adam, there is no spoon!

    3:37 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home