• Kate Bush: Aerial
  • The Beta Band: The Three E.P.'s
  • DangerDoom: The Mouse & The Mask
  • Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley: Welcome to Jamrock
  • Imogen Heap: Speak for Yourself
  • Glen Phillips: Winter Pays for Summer
  • Madonna: Confessions on a Dance Floor
  • The Essex Green: The Long Goodbye
  • Various Artists: The Matrix (Soundtrack)
  • Jim Boggia: Safe in Sound
  • Saturday, January 21, 2006

    Off Topic: Dualdiscs

    As anyone who has purchased music in the last 6 months may have noticed, The Music Industry(tm) has introduced the concept of "Dualdiscs," cramming CD audio on one side of a disc, and DVD audio / DVD features on the other side.

    The concept was met with lukewarm reactino, at best. And, as I sit here, listening to the DVD audio side of the Dave Matthews Band's album "Stand Up," I think I figured out what the problem is:

    The Music Industry(tm) is full of fucking idiots.

    There, I said it. Sorry if I have offended.

    Personally, I think the Dualdisc is a keen thing. I think it offers the opportunity to really give fans something more, and *almost* justify CDs still being in the $14 - $18 range. Almost.

    But Music company execs are dumbasses and don't know what to do with this great opportunity they've given themselves.

    On the DMB disc, for instance, do you know what the "bonus content" is?

    A crappy, self-promotional piece about how it is for the band getting back in the studio with a new producer. It was boring. And I like Dave. But that's IT. Uhm ... Excuse me?

    Popping the disc into my computer's DVD drive and taking a look, the total disc size is 1.77 gigs. The disc is just barely 40% full. There's PLENTY of room for more stuff. Live performances? Maybe a music video (because, let's face it, the first music video for an album is ready before the final version of the disc presses)?

    Oh, and there's a photogallery. Because THAT'S what I want to look at, on a machine meant to show MOVING PICURES.

    Another Dualdisc I bought was Bruce Springsteen's "Devils & Dust." This one is not as bland: The DVD side includes bonus, Bruce-solo-acoustic performances of 5 tracks. Good use, in my book. And he intros the tunes before he performs them. It is quite enjoyable. Here, thankfully, the company had half a clue. Also, during each of the album versions of the songs on the DVD side, the lyrics are on screen for you. A keen bonus feature so you don't have to pop open the booklet.

    But, gods damn it! There is SO MUCH MORE potential. I know I'm just some mook who loves music, but, COME ON!

    I've not purchased any dualdiscs in the last few months, so I'm not certain what is available on the field. Let me look on Amazon, please hold...

    -- time passes in real world, but not on blog post --

    So, there are 101 Dualdiscs listed on Amazon. And looking through the list, I think I know what my problem is:

    Dualdisc is just another way to whore $artist out.

    Then again, what isn't these days?

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home