• Glen Phillips: Winter Pays for Summer
  • Madonna: Confessions on a Dance Floor
  • The Essex Green: The Long Goodbye
  • Various Artists: The Matrix (Soundtrack)
  • Jim Boggia: Safe in Sound
  • Tori Amos: Strange Little Girls
  • Bill Hicks: Rants in E-Minor
  • Various Artists: Napoleon Dynamite (Soundtrack)
  • Kasabian: Kasabian
  • U2: How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (Deluxe)
  • Tuesday, December 13, 2005

    Imogen Heap: Speak for Yourself

    Let's start with something I didn't realize:

    Imogen Heap == vocal half of Frou Frou

    I enjoyed the Frou Frou album, Breathe In, but not so much that I would have followed the individual components of that collaboration around the world. Something in Heap's voice sets me off.

    My reasoning for picking this album up was that she's got a *short* track on the latest Six Feet Under soundtrack, and her voice sounded so much different from that on the Frou Frou disc that I thought she was a different person. A person who's voice I enjoyed.

    Win some, Lose some, right?

    I think its the combination of a heavy electronic background and, at points, SEVERE processing of her vocals that just doesn't work for me. She's got a beautiful voice, but they doctor her up too much in studio.

    An album of 12 songs, completely undoctored, with studio musicians, I think would be a wonderful album, and I'd happily shell out the bank for that one.

    In the end: If you enjoyed Frou Frou, this is a no brainer. Same sound, for the most part, but Heap does push a bit past the Frou Frou sound. She's got a beautiful voice, and should not be processed. Purchase at your own discretion.

    Technorati Tagged: Imogen Heap | Six Feet Under

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home