• Lewis Black: The Carnegie Hall Performance
  • The Clash: London Calling
  • Van Morrison: Astral Weeks
  • Candice Jarrett: Powerful Beyond Measure
  • The Bens: The Bens (EP)
  • Aaron Brady: The Optimists
  • Nick Drake: Pink Moon
  • Guster: One Man Wrecking Machine (EP)
  • Francine: Forty on a Fall Day
  • Anthony Stewart Head: Music for Elevators
  • Wednesday, June 21, 2006

    Brandi Carlile: Brandi Carlile

    After all of these albums, I've come to a conclusion: I am, apparently, the written word for my friend Sean.

    Yet again, Brandi comes to my attention thanks to him, in the form of her opening for Train a few months back. I had been previously impressed with Train's live performance, and Sean couldn't stop extolling the amazing skill of young Ms. Carlile, and she did not make a liar of him.

    Brandi's self-titled album has a sound, that, if it weren't so clean, you might think you were listening to someone from the singer/songwriter period of lte 60s and 70s. I hear Bobby Dylan, James Taylor, a hint of Joan Baez, and, is that Bonnie Raitt too? I think it might be. I'm not certain of her influences, but if Bonnie Raitt went to a Folk/Rock sound, I think her name would be Brandi Carlile.

    Follow, the lead off track, is one of my favourites. It's constructed well, good lyrics, and a great sound. Closer to You has a slight country feel to it, but good country, not this modern country, and also earns high marks in my book. the darkness of Tragedy mixed with the simplicity of just her and her acoustic guitar makes for a very powerful song.

    In the end: This is a quiet album; don't expect any song to make you want to throw the horns. But Carlile is a young and talented musician who I think has a serious chance to be something big and amazing. Be one of the people who can say "I remember when..." and give the album a listen.

    On the Web: Some distant, so-so photos of Brandi and Train can be found on my fotki site Also, as with The Fray, I have a recording of Carlile at the WBOS Earthfest. Check it out:
    Brandi Carlile: 2006-05-27 - MDC Hatch Shell, Boston, MA

    Technorati Tagged: |

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home