• Van Morrison: Astral Weeks
  • Candice Jarrett: Powerful Beyond Measure
  • The Bens: The Bens (EP)
  • Aaron Brady: The Optimists
  • Nick Drake: Pink Moon
  • Guster: One Man Wrecking Machine (EP)
  • Francine: Forty on a Fall Day
  • Anthony Stewart Head: Music for Elevators
  • The Fray: How to Save A Life
  • Fiona Apple: Extraordinary Machine
  • Tuesday, June 20, 2006

    The Clash: London Calling

    The Clash's London Calling is an album I feel I took advantage of for years.

    We've all enjoyed/heard/loved at least one track off of this album, be it the title track, Rudie Can't Fail, Lost in the Supermarket, or Train in Vain. We know these tunes. At least I know I do and I feel strongly that everyone else should.

    After finally getting off of my ass, and dropping the whole 10 bucks on this a couple of years ago, I couldn't believe I hadn't owned this sooner. For the tunes we all know, it was worth the purchase, but also for the ones I (sadly) hadn't heard. Tunes like Jimmy Jazz, Spanish Bombs, Brand New Cadillac, and Lovers Rock.

    In the end: Can you really say anything about this album but "smashing," "amazing," "shut up and buy it," and so on? This is The Clash. While not one of my desert island discs, this is one of those true classics. Up there with Clapton's Slowhand, The Beatles' Revolver, and so on.

    On the Web: Over at The Hype Machine you can find tons of Clash tunes. Also, I've added to YSI a bootleg from 1980 (the year I was born!) at what labeled "Capitol Radio": The Clash: Capitol Radio 1980 Perhaps the show is this one?

    Technorati Tagged: |

    1 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Its funny. The other day I was going over great songwriting partnerships of all time, and I was trying to convince someone that Strummer/Jones fits up there with Lennon/McCartney, Rogers/Hammerstein or any other pair you put them up against.

    In a way similar to Lennon and McCartney, you can see what they brought to the band by viewing their later work as they split. In Strummer and Jones' case, it is the raw world beat of the Mescalaros and in proto-hiphop/mashup of Big Audio Dynamite.

    (and if you don't understand what I mean by the Mescalaros reference, borrow my copy of Global-a-go-go. The "Streetcore" that I leant you tilts much more towards a straight ahead rock vibe. Streetcore seems much more like an album from an former punk who realizes that he doesn't need to shout when he's angry.)

    10:51 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home