• Arctic Monkeys: Whatever People Say I Am, That's W...
  • Editors: The Back Room
  • Stereolab: Fab Four Suture
  • Jack Johnson: Sing-A-Longs & Lullabies for the Fil...
  • Beth Orton: Comfort of Strangers
  • The Magic Numbers: The Magic Numbers
  • Jenny Lewis & the Watson Twins: Rabbit Fur Coat
  • Michelle Lewis: This Time Around
  • Teddy Geiger: Underage Thinking
  • The Subways: Young For Eternity
  • Friday, April 28, 2006

    The Bouncing Souls: The Gold Record

    Let's start out with some honesty:
    I don't know anything about the Bouncing Souls. I've never listened to them before. I've never wanted to.

    As a favour, I yoinked the album for a friend and sent it off to him. On a whim (and some insistence from him), I gave it a listen. Turns out, I maybe should listen to them a bit more.

    The album keeps a solid speed, going for that 90s punk sound, but a little cleaned up. Which, yes, I realize that "punk" and "clean" should *NOT* be in the same sentence, but it's the best description I've got. It's 12 tracks that roll in just shy of 45 minutes, which I'm told is nearly TWICE as long (time wise) as a normal Souls album. Despite borrowing from the rock and punk sounds, the album has a very mature feel to it.

    Letter From Iraq gives you a good idea of the groups views while being a solid tune; Lean on Sheena does a great job of covering an Avoid One Thing tune; For All the Unheard just has such great musical construction and good lyrics (not to mention sounding a bit Tom Petty-ish); and the lead off song The Gold Song is just good old guitar rockin' goodness.

    In the End: This is a great surprise. I've been through the album 6 or 7 times now and adore it. It's got a great blend of simple, guitar heavy rock and thoughtful and/or fun lyrics. If this is your first jump into the Souls music, I think you'll be happy. If you already know them, you'll be in love with this album.

    Technorati Tagged: |

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home