• Beth Orton: Comfort of Strangers
  • The Magic Numbers: The Magic Numbers
  • Jenny Lewis & the Watson Twins: Rabbit Fur Coat
  • Michelle Lewis: This Time Around
  • Teddy Geiger: Underage Thinking
  • The Subways: Young For Eternity
  • Casey Desmond: Casey Desmond
  • Nellie McKay: Pretty Little Head
  • Scamper: Leave Your Glasses On
  • Leona Naess: I Tried To Rock You But You Only Roll
  • Friday, March 24, 2006

    Jack Johnson: Sing-A-Longs & Lullabies for the Film Curious George

    What makes an album a success? Does it need to wow you? Does it just need not to suck? That's the question I'm wrasslin' with as I try and decide how I feel about this soundtrack album from Mr. Johnson.

    On the plus side, it's up to Jack's usual standards, which is enjoyable and quality. On the minus side, I don't get anything new or exciting from him. It feels like he's doing the same content for the 4th, 5th album. I think I'm getting exhausted by Jack Johnson the artist.

    All that being said, this is a good collection of foot tappers, quiet guitar tunes, and some childrens' songs. If I had seen the movie, I think I would have said this compliments the content well.

    The first single off the album, Upside Down, is the nearly prototypical Jack Johnson, with just a jungle beat in the back to tie into Curious George. We Are Going to Be Friends is a White Stripes cover, and I think Johnson did a good job. The Three R's feels like a forced environmentalist song, but you can't deny the solid beat.

    Guest Stars G. Love, Matt Costa, and Ben Harper all share a similar sound to Johnson's, so they fit in well on the album, with the G.Love tune Jungle Gym being the best of the three duets.

    In the end: It is a good soundtrack album, and it is a good Jack Johnson album. If you're not tired of the sound Johnson has been pumping out for the last few years, this is a must have, doubly so if you've got youngin's.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home