• Boyd Tinsley: True Reflections
  • Fiction Plane: Everything Will Never Be Ok
  • Zyrah's Orange: Body
  • The Streets: A Grand Don't Come For Free
  • Angel: Live Fast, Die Never (Score)
  • Welcome to the future
  • Wednesday, July 20, 2005

    Gorillaz: Demon Days

    I'll be frank with you: I did not like this album on first listen. On a second listen? I dislike it less.

    When the self-titled "Gorillaz" album dropped in June 2001, I think we, as a collective conciousness, were quite enthralled with "Clint Eastwood." It was an almost thoroughly enjoyable track, but something was off about it (at least for me), which kept me from loving it. I heard the rest of the album, and later accept that track as a solid part of the whole.

    On this album, the first single out was "Feel Good, Inc." which reminds me a bit of the first album. But that's it. The rest of it seems more hip-hop-ish / experimental / electronica, and at points, quite extreme. I appreciate the skill and creativity that went into the album, and I definitely think this is a well produced album, but the content feels like its lacking.

    Its also entirely possible that I liked the first one so much that I just don't want to accept that they can go in ay other direction.

    Highlights on the album, however, are Dirty Harry (something about it reminds me of early 80s rap) and Feel Good, Inc.

    In the end: I'm not impressed with this album. There are some amazingly creative and talented people involved with it, and maybe my expectations were set too high. If you enjoyed the first album, you may or may not enjoy this one.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home