• Fiction Plane: Everything Will Never Be Ok
  • Zyrah's Orange: Body
  • The Streets: A Grand Don't Come For Free
  • Angel: Live Fast, Die Never (Score)
  • Welcome to the future
  • Wednesday, July 20, 2005

    Boyd Tinsley: True Reflections

    This was originally posted on LJ on 2003-07-02.

    This is Adam's Capsule review of Boyd Tinsley's True Reflections album:

    (For those of you who don't know who Boyd Tinsley is, he's the violinist/backing-vocalist for the Dave Matthews Band. 6-foot+ Black guy who sometimes where's zebra striped pants.)

    Now, I'm a fan of Dave, and I'll give anything associated with him a try. I bought Tim Reynold's Stream album, and while I was left a little wanting because the songs seemed to lack structure, I was still impressed with Timmy's guitar abilities.

    Boyd always impressed me with his stage presence and amazing ability to make that violin work for him like it was his bitch. Seriously, a 6-foot+ black man in some of the most fashion-illegal clothes on Earth playing a violin. If he wasn't so goddamn good at what he does, This would be the perfect set up for a joke.

    I've seen DMB a handful of times live, and his vocal and instrumental abilities always impressed me. But now I know why. He was live and anytime you heard hiim, he was belting out the tunes. We're not as lucky on his album, True Reflections.

    The album is a well produced, but ill-used vehicle to bring Boyd out from the light of Dave Matthews and his band. His voice is meant for power, and he's singing sweet, overly-cutesy tunes. The best (and maybe worst) moment of the album is when he covers Neil Young's "Cinnamon Girl." Its done well, in my opinion, but Boyd's voice just isnt up to the task of covering Neil.

    Dave does make a very quick visit to Boyd's album, in the form of backing vocals on a new version the Title song. I'm left wanting a lot, I have to admit. I'll just bust out some live shows where Boyd really shines.

    The long and short of it is this: If you're a Dave fan, this is a must because you're obssessed. Elsewise, I'd say this musical investment just ain't for you.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home